Feeling The Call Of The Drum? Sign Up For A Class!
In class, the emphasis is on:
* Learning West African rhythms in a supportive and fun environment
* Becoming comfortable drumming with others and working as a group
* Discovering the numerous benefits of drumming
You Can Expect To
* Learn correct playing position & how to produce clear sounds with confidence
* Learn traditional West African rhythms and become familiar with common signals and accompaniments
* Learn the cultural background of traditional rhythms
* Become familiar with musical concepts (the pulse, off-beats, binary and ternary rhythms etc)
* Develop your sense of rhythm, coordination and speed control
* Develop your ability to maintain a particular rhythm while another is being played
* Work as a team – starting together, feeling the groove, being aware of each other, listening, stopping together…
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Your Drumming Teacher
Drum Up Big’s Founder, Tara Tucker has been playing West African percussion for over 15 years. She has studied traditional drumming with Master drummers and cultural ensembles in Guinea, Burkina Faso, The Gambia, The Ivory Coast and Ghana.
She has been personally certified by djembe Grandmaster Mamady Keita as a teacher for his international school of West African percussion, Tam Tam Mandingue Djembe Academy.
Tara’s students appreciate her patience, energy, good humour, attention to detail and her infectious enthusiasm for rhythm in all its forms.
Tara also facilitates therapeutic rhythm-based programs for vulnerable populations including seniors, youth with disabilities and adults recovering from trauma. Tara is motivated by the power that drumming and other forms of rhythmic music and movement have in promoting social connection, self awareness and social-emotional learning.